APPLICATIONS FOR COSTUME ASSISTANTS ARE NOW CLOSED. DETAILS FOR OUR 2019 SEASON WILL BE AVAILABLE IN FEBRUARY.
Please check back again for further details.
British Youth Opera is the UK's foremost training opera company, and the only one of its kind offering such opportunities to emerging costume assistants.
BYO’s summer season productions offer four positions for Costume Assistants: two on each production. Applicants should be at the start of their careers, have good sewing skills and experience of dressing and/or working in running wardrobe.
Successful applicants will work closely with a professional Costume Supervisor and Designer on our summer season productions.
Costume Assistants’ responsibilities include:
- sourcing costumes and materials, as necessary
- researching costume and hair references, as necessary
- attending costume fittings
- alterations of hired costumes
- making basic costumes, as necessary
- dressing on all technical rehearsals and performances
- costume maintenance and laundry for all technical rehearsals and performances
- keeping costume and dressing notes
- assisting the costume supervisor as required.
Applicants should bring a portfolio showing previous costume work.
BYO charges no fees. Every participant who gains a place on a summer season production benefits from a fully-funded placement, and is paid a small subsistence.
Accommodation in London can be provided for a limited number of successful applicants who do not have a London base and would otherwise be unable to participate.