WE ARE NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE POSITION OF COSTUME ASSISTANT
– please note the application deadline has been extended to 5 April.
British Youth Opera is the UK's foremost training opera company, and the only one of its kind offering such opportunities to emerging costume assistants.
BYO’s summer season productions offer four positions for Costume Assistants: two on each production. Applicants should be at the start of their careers, have good sewing skills and experience of dressing and/or working in running wardrobe.
Successful applicants will work closely with a professional Costume Supervisor and Designer on our summer season productions.
Costume Assistants’ responsibilities include:
- sourcing costumes and materials, as necessary
- researching costume and hair references, as necessary
- attending costume fittings
- alterations of hired costumes
- making basic costumes, as necessary
- dressing on all technical rehearsals and performances
- costume maintenance and laundry for all technical rehearsals and performances
- keeping costume and dressing notes
- assisting the costume supervisor as required
Applicants called to interview should bring a portfolio showing previous costume work.
For Summer Season 2019:
Rehearsals commence in London on Monday 15 July 2019.
Costume Assistants are required until the end of returns on 9 September 2019.
Interviews will be held in London during April 2019. Skype interviews may be possible.
BYO charges no fees. Every participant who gains a place on a summer season production benefits from a fully-funded placement, and is paid a small subsistence.
Accommodation in London can be provided for a limited number of successful applicants who do not have a London base and would otherwise be unable to participate.