Assistant Lighting Designers
APPLICATIONS FOR ASSISTANT LIGHTING DESIGNERS ARE NOW CLOSED. DETAILS FOR OUR 2019 SEASON WILL BE AVAILABLE IN FEBRUARY.
Please check back again for further details.
British Youth Opera is the UK's foremost training opera company, and the only one of its kind offering such opportunities to emerging lighting designers.
BYO’s summer season productions offer one position as Assistant Lighting Designer. This is ideally suited to a student in the second or third year of study on a full time lighting course.
There is one professional Lighting Designer (LD) for the summer season and the assistant works with the LD from the start of the creative process through to closing night.
The Assistant Lighting Designer’s responsibilities include:
- attending production meetings and liaising with other members of the production and creative team on preparing the information required for the process in the theatre
- working closely with the LD in preparation of the lighting paperwork
- attending some production rehearsals
- being part of the production team in the theatre during production rehearsals
- in association with the Assistant Directors, adapting lighting from the full-length productions for cover showings.
Interviews will be held in London in the Spring. Applicants should bring a small portfolio showing relevant lighting design, paperwork and (optionally) drawings.
BYO charges no fees. Every participant who gains a place on a summer season production benefits from a fully-funded placement, and is paid a small subsistence.
Accommodation in London can be provided for a limited number of successful applicants who do not have a London base and would otherwise be unable to participate.