APPLICATIONS FOR ASSISTANT DESIGNERS ARE NOW CLOSED. DETAILS FOR OUR 2019 SEASON WILL BE AVAILABLE IN FEBRUARY.
Please check back again for further details.
British Youth Opera is the UK's foremost training opera company, and the only one of its kind offering such opportunities to emerging designers.
BYO’s summer season productions offer four positions for Assistant Designers. Applicants should be at the start of their careers, have an interest in both costume and set design and some practical theatre experience.
The Assistant Designer will work with a professional Designer throughout the design process of our Summer Season.
The Assistant Designer’s responsibilities include:
- assisting the Designer with research
- assisting with making the set model
- attending model showings, production meetings, costume fittings and other meetings as required
- assisting stage management with selection of props
- attending some production rehearsals and all stage rehearsals.
Interviews will be held in London in the Spring; applicants should bring their design portfolio.
BYO charges no fees. Every participant who gains a place on a summer season production benefits from a fully-funded placement, and is paid a small subsistence.
Accommodation in London can be provided for a limited number of successful applicants who do not have a London base and would otherwise be unable to participate.