ASSISTANT CONDUCTOR APPLICATIONS FOR 2019 HAVE NOW CLOSED.
Keep an eye out for when they re-open for the 2020 season in the autumn of 2019.
BYO's summer season productions offer two positions for Assistant Conductors: one for each production. Applicants should be at the start of their careers, have a particular interest in opera and have previous experience of orchestral conducting as well as working with singers. We are looking for participants with excellent musicianship skills and ability to manage their workload in a set time-frame.
Assistant Conductors work with a professional Conductor during rehearsals and act as Conductor for cover performances. For details of some of the professionals who have worked with our trainees in the past, see The Professionals*.
Assistant Conductors' responsibilities include:
- attending all music and production rehearsals and assisting the Conductor with the musical preparation at all rehearsals and performances
- running and conducting sectionals if needed
- directing warm-ups at the discretion of the Music Director
- rehearsing the cover cast, together with the Assistant Director
- conducting the cover cast in the cover showing, a selection of scenes from the opera lasting 60 to 75 minutes, which is performed on stage with orchestra
- giving pre-performance talks at the Peacock Theatre together with the Assistant Director.
BYO charges no fees. Every participant who gains a place on a summer season production benefits from a fully-funded placement, and is paid a small subsistence.
Accommodation in London can be provided for a limited number of successful applicants who do not have a London base and would otherwise be unable to participate.